In 1968, the Oklahoma City Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs purchased the property at 1440 North Everest Avenue to serve as their new permanent home, recognizing the ongoing work of the organization and its continuing importance to the African American community. The
purchase of the substantial property represented the culmination of significant efforts begun in 1911 with the formation of the Oklahoma City chapter. Operating under the statewide organization’s slogan “Lifting As We Climb,” the federation used Brockway Community Center as their
headquarters to provide valuable services to young black women and children, improve the quality of life in local black neighborhoods, and advocate for racial equality. The 1968 purchase provided clubs with a significant base for its important activities, which continued in the building until its sale in 2011. Brockway Community Center remains the only extant building in Oklahoma City directly affiliated with the Oklahoma City Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs.
PandDStudio wrote a National Register nomination for the property and helped save it from demolition. The Brockway Community Center was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 15, 2021. Other services included historic preservation consulting and grant writing
support with cost estimates for the anticipated rehabilitation of all structures. The owner recently received a planning grant from the African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
LOCATION: Oklahoma City, OK
CLIENT: OKC Urban Renewal Authority