Holy City of the Wichitas

In 1934 the Works Progress Administration (WPA) began construction of the buildings and sets now known as the Holy City of the Wichitas. This representation of the holy land includes structures and sets constructed of site sourced stones, rocks and boulders. Sets such as Pilate’s judgment hall, Herod’s Court, the Garden of Gethsemane, the Lord’s Supper building, and a number of towers and walls are backdrops to tell the story of the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.

The long-running passion play began under the leadership of Reverend Anthony Mark Wallock, as an Easter pageant in 1926 on private land located near Medicine Park. The nearly 15 acre site located within Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge is the only WPA project with a religious reference. Now a tradition for over 90 years this landmark draws thousands of visitors a year..

PandDStudio has been selected to provide existing conditions reports and present a master plan for the phased rehabilitation of the site. 3D scanning will document each structure and facilitate our work. This historic district was recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Due to the challenges presented by Covid19 funding for the project has been postponed. Visit the 'Holy City of the Wichitas' Facebook page for more information.

LOCATION: Cache, OK

STATUS: In Progress

CLIENT: Wallock Foundation