Built in 1910, this three-story, brick, late Gothic Revival building is located in Oklahoma City's Metro Park neighborhood. Whittier operated primarily as an elementary school from 1910 to 1957. During the late 1930s and early 1940s, Whittier served as Oklahoma City's first public pre-school program sponsored by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). Students were usually children of mothers working on WPA-sponsored projects and were between the ages of two and five. After the closure of Whittier School in 1957, the school board leased the building and surrounding site to various entities including early programs for the Oklahoma City campus of Oklahoma State University. It has remained vacant since 2006.
PandDStudio recently completed the National Register of Historic Places nomination that was listed on June 2021 and is co-leading the design and preservation team for the adaptive reuse of Whittier School.
LOCATION: Oklahoma City, OK
STATUS: In Progress
CLIENT: R7 Capital Funding, LLC